Last year, I dressed up as Glinda the Good Witch. I am reposting some info on how the crown was created. There are no good pictures because I didn't really know how to write a tutorial yet, but I hope it inspires you to make something cool anyway. The plastic sheet can be used for so many great projects!
The making of the crown was a little bit intimidating but I knew I would never be happy with the cheap commercial crowns.
Here are the steps I took to create this crown:
1) I bought a sheet of 18" x 24 " plastic that is supposed to be used for quilting patterns. It was $4 at JoAnn's.
2) I created a repeat pattern on Photoshop that would be just the right size because I didn't want to end up having to cut one of the shapes off in a funny place. I printed my pattern and traced it onto the plastic sheet, then cut out the top of the crown.
3) I cut any extra height off of the bottom. (I could have cut a LOT more than I did.)
4) I rolled it up to the right size and used hot glued to secure it in place.
5) I used low temperature hot glue to make a pattern of dots and lines that I could sprinkle with glitter (before it dried). This added interested and a little texture.
6) I glued gems and glitter onto the top and a pre-made silver trim (JoAnn's) at the bottom edge. Then I glued in some silver sparkler looking things I found in the floral department at Hobby Lobby.
Here is the final product:
You can see mine is way too tall , but it certainly was the "star" of my costume the way it sparkled!
Look at my little Dorothy! *sigh* Already she looks so much older this year!
Come back tomorrow for