Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Good Witch



Last year, I dressed up as Glinda the Good Witch. I am reposting some info on how the crown was created. There are no good pictures because I didn't really know how to write a tutorial yet, but I hope it inspires you to make something cool anyway. The plastic sheet can be used for so many great projects!














The making of the crown was a little bit intimidating but I knew I would never be happy with the cheap commercial crowns.






Here are the steps I took to create this crown:


1) I bought a sheet of 18" x 24 " plastic that is supposed to be used for quilting patterns. It was $4 at JoAnn's.
2) I created a repeat pattern on Photoshop that would be just the right size because I didn't want to end up having to cut one of the shapes off in a funny place. I printed my pattern and traced it onto the plastic sheet, then cut out the top of the crown. 
3) I cut any extra height off of the bottom. (I could have cut a LOT  more than I did.) 
4) I rolled it up to the right size and used hot glued to secure it in place. 
5) I used low temperature hot glue to make a pattern of dots and lines that I could sprinkle with glitter (before it dried). This added interested and a little texture. 
6) I glued gems and glitter onto the top and a pre-made silver trim (JoAnn's) at the bottom edge. Then I glued in some silver sparkler looking things I found in the floral department at Hobby Lobby.





Here is the final product:









You can see mine is way too tall , but it certainly was the "star" of my costume the way it sparkled!

Look at my little Dorothy! *sigh* Already she looks so much older this year!





Come back tomorrow for 





Pin It!

6 comments:

Erin said...

How awesome is that crown?!?! You both look fantastic!!!

AllieMakes! said...

That's beautiful! I love Witch cotumes! Awesome job!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Jennifer Walker Morehead said...

Lovely! My 3 year old requested to be Glinda this Halloween, so I am overwhelmed with the thought of making that huge dress and crown. Thanks for the crown inspiration. I knew a cheapo imitation would not work for me either!

AutumnK81 said...

Where did you purchase your Glinda dress? (Or was it homemade like the crown) Thanks in advance!

AutumnK81 said...

Where did you purchase your Glinda dress? (Or was it homemade like the crown) Thanks in advance!

Jami said...

hi autumn. it has been a while, so i dont remember the exaact name, but it was one of those packaged mass produced gowns from someplace like costumes.com or rubys. i added diamonds to the entire dress so it would sparkle when we were trick or treating.