Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My Favorite Blueberry Pie



It's blueberry season!
Every year, we look forward to picking those plump, juicy berries.
We get loads of them.
I love them fresh off the bush.
And in pancakes.
And on angel food cake. with whipped cream.
But I don't like them cooked down and gooped up in traditional blueberry pie,
which is why when I found this recipe, I let out a "woo hoo" and did a little victory dance. And then I ate it all. And  I'm cool with that.


Crust
To begin with, I have made my own crust, but I'm not so hot at it. But, since I prefer things made from scratch (a.k.a. not filled with words I can't pronounce), I still try sometimes. In this pie, however, the crust is super easy and it's texture creates a nice contrast to the blueberries and cream part.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.


You just literally dump The following into a pan.

1 1/2 C all purpose flour
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C canola oil
3 Tbsp milk 




Stir it up until it's nice and smooth. It will look something like this:




Then you will begin pressing it into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. 




Go all the way up 'cause you will need all the height you can get.



Don't bake it yet!


Pie
Wash 4 cups of blueberries and pat them dry.




Dump them into the unbaked pie shell.

In a bowl, combine the following:
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C all purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Mix it up.


Then mix 1/2 cup of milk (I use whole milk) and 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream. Oh yeah, baby! This is where the magic happens. Pour the liquid into the dry, whisking until smooth.

















Pour this over your blueberries. (that are in the pie shell)







Pop that baby in the oven for about 30 minutes and then cover the edges of the crust with foil so they don't get all nasty-burnt on you. Bake it for 15 more minutes and then pull it out. 

While it is baking you can whip up the rest of the whipping cream in that carton. You'll be needing it later.

For this:




Here's the hard part...let it cool.
Do not eat it. I know! You can't stand it, can you?
Well it's worth the wait so wait.
When it is cool enough it needs to be refrigerated at least 2 hours so it is nice and cold all the way through.
Uh-huh.




This pie is very pretty with a dollop of whipped cream on it, but frankly, I couldn't wait any longer!
So just imagine it OK.
Or better yet, go make yourself one and try it for yourself!


I have been making this pie for about 8 years. I love it more every year. I hope you enjoy it too!


If you click below you can get the printable versions of these recipes.

No-Roll, No-Fail Pie Crust








I'm linking up with the following parties:



Blessed with Grace


HappyDay




Pin It!

13 comments:

Heather said...

My mother-in-law makes this same pie crust. Your blueberry pie looks amazing. Blueberries are quite in season here, but we are starting to get some wild black raspberries.

alicia said...

I must try this one. No rolling? Thanks so much for lihnkin up. Feel free to share any other great recipes in weeks to come.

blueviolet said...

That really does look like something I can handle! So yummy!

Katy and Ross said...

That looks delicious! There's nothing better than a sweet fruit pie/cobbler in the summer :) Could you send a piece our way?

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Looks delish! We love blueberries. :)

Charlene said...

Wow, this is my kind of piecrust, and looks like my kind of pie, too! Blueberries & cream, yum!

Danelle said...

I am not a great pie crust maker either, but I think I could manage your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Colleen @ MuralMaker&More said...

Yum. Just . . . YUM!

Would love for you to link this up to Fab Finds for the Fourth. Starts tomorrow and next 2 Thursdays.

I could so see this for my 4th of July BBQ!

Missy said...

That looks delicious! I wonder if you could try it with any other kind of berries? I have some blackberries in my fridge that I may just try tomorrow.

SnoWhite {Finding Joy in My Kitchen} said...

oh wow. You've just become my new friend. This looks awesome.

Colleen @ MuralMaker&More said...

Thanks so much for joining Fab Finds for the Fourth today! Hope you stop by next Thursday too.

Have a great weekend!

Jasey said...

I love this recipe! I passed the Beautiful Blogger Award to you! Here's a link!
http://crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com/2010/06/beautiful-blogger-award.html

Happy Day,
Jasey

Jasey said...

Thanks for bringing your dish over to Tuesday Tastes! The People's Choice Polls are open so come by and cast your vote when you get a chance!

Happy Day,
Jasey @ Crazy Daisy

http://crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com/2010/06/tuesday-tastes-12.html